The winter push for getting Moby back on the road has reached its end this weekend as I installed the remaining interior items. Some work still needs to be done but this can be achieved without disrupting bus-related summer adventures. Over the last few months, most of the work focused on interior improvements/rehab but a couple of mechanical issues also needed solving before the long excursions planned for the summer. This morning I took a little drive to test the steering work and engine before I cross these items off my list. I’ve increasingly looked forward to driving Moby again with each warmer day and cannot describe the enjoyment of today’s ride, short as it was and despite the drizzle. All functioned as it should and the mechanics are greatly improved.
Once back home, I began downloading pictures documenting the progress over the last few months and realized that organizing the almost 400 photos and then writing up the details is going to be a project in itself! Where to begin? Since the curtain project is the longest running, I think it serves as the best starting point. The last curtain remaining is located behind the closet and is the easiest to replace, at least once the closet is removed.
The closet curtain wraps around a piece of plywood18.5 inches tall x 46.5 inches long and 3mm (~1/8 inch) thick that is secured with 6 screws to the metal surrounding the closet side window. This plywood also serves as a template for measuring fabric but make sure to leave some extra material to wrap around the wood for securing the curtain in place. Remember if you are using fabric with a pattern to make sure it aligns with the pattern on the other curtains.
I’ve seen two versions of this curtain. The first involves wrapping the material tightly around the plywood for a smooth presentation. Cutting the fabric for this is easy as you just need to cut a rectangle about 4-inches both taller and longer than the plywood. The second version is a loose wrap with some gathers to make the curtain look like it hangs. I always preferred the latter since it matches the appearance of all the curtains.
The first step for this look is to cut a rectangle 4-inches taller (left to right in the photo below) and at least 14-inches longer (top to bottom in the below photo) than the plywood. The length depends on how many gathers you want in the curtain; more gathers equal a longer cut. We used a 60.5-inch long piece of material because it was the longest we had left. But I think this would be a minimum length at only 14-inches longer than the plywood. After 1.5 years (no it shouldn’t take this long at all), it is nice to have this project finally complete. Here is the link for the entire project: https://zerotosixtyeventually.wordpress.com/category/projects/curtains/